Tuesday 13 January 2015

Finish Along 2015 Quarter 1

Last year I joined in the 2014 Finish Along hosted by Katy at The Littlest Thistle, although I missed the sign up for a few of the quarters it did make me list and complete some of my works in progress (WIPs).

I felt motivated to try again this year with the 2015 Finish Along (FAL 2015) now being hosted by Adrianne at On the Windy Side a reference to Wellington, NZ where she lives and apparently it is windy! The rules for the challenge are here: FAL 2015

The 2015 Finish-Along Link
The idea is to list your WIPs (proposed finishes) at the beginning of the quarter and link to Adrianne's 'linky party'. Then, during the quarter as you complete your projects you can blog about them or post photos on Instagram or Flickr linking back to the 'finish linky party' at the end of the quarter.

So without further a do here is my list (some of which have rolled over from previous WIP lists):

1) Alex's hexie quilt: Some of these hexagons were started nearly 40 years ago by my hubby's mum. She died too young in early '82 and I was given the unfinished hexagons and cardboard templates during a clearing out session a few years ago. It is a finished top now (which is progress from 2014) we have chosen a backing fabric but I have not bought the batting yet.


2) Paletina pillow: This shouldn't be too difficult, the front is finished, everything is cut out. I have the zip and just need to sew it all together .... not sure where it is hiding at the moment!

3) Alex's curtains: Because I broke my elbow last year we managed without these and I sort of forgot they needed doing until recently. I love the material from Laura Ashley. It is called Bacall and is in the apple 
colour way. Not a good photo, it's all in a plastic bag. I need a whole weekend to spread out on the kitchen table so this won't get finished anytime soon!


4) Maddie's Cardigan: Knitted and partly sewn up, the project isn't finished as I'm not happy with the edge of the hood, so I've had to pull it out and need to reknit it on smaller needles. I need a couple of evenings to get this finished ... and some motivation which has escaped me!


5) Maddie's 'Frozen' costume. I have the fabric and a pattern ... just need to get started.

6) Draft excluder: A prototype I started to test out the heat 'n' bond. I have the houses appliquéd but have not completed the details on the doors and windows so they need doing before I can sew it up and use it. I like it so far ...



7 - 11 are based on a design from Kellie at Don't Look Now called Worry Dolls I have cut out all the little people resembling my nieces and nephews to make them cushions:

     
7) Stanley's cushion: A footballer to go in his bedroom.

8) Arthur's cushion: A footballer to go in his bedroom.


9) Georgiana's cushion: A girl (looks like her).


10) Maddie's cushion: A girl (made from fabric from her baby clothes).


11) Thomas's cushion: A footballer - Thomas is my colleagues little boy, he's nearly 4.

 
12) Georgiana's cardigan: Started about 8 years ago this will no longer fit my daughter so it's heading for my niece. It just needs a ribbon and some appliqué flowers. I hope it doesn't take me another 8 years to finish! 




13) Puddlejumper 1: Started last year, I was really happy with this - until my niece tried it on. She's long in the body and it was clear this was going to be too small for her to wear over warm clothes, so it got abandoned. This photo was taken at the cutting out phase:



14) Puddlejumper 2: Started last year at the same time as the one above, all I did was cut this out. It got packed away with the one above and I forgot about it until I found it the other day. I have someone in mind for this but have not dug it out yet.

15) Daisy Kingdom coat: This Simplicity pattern (2778 on the left) was one I fell in love with and bought several years ago but I could never find double sided fleece. When pink/orange reversible fabric turned up in a local store (The Shuttle) I bought it and then couldn't locate where I had kept the pattern! I think the design is the same as pattern 4515 (on the right) which is shown in the type of fleece I have bought. I know a couple of folks have made it already and it looked great (some Flickr photos of Charity's coat).


  Fleece Coat  4515 Simplicity size 5-6-7-8 lots of nice details. 2005 Daisy Kingdom

16) Fingerless gloves: I have started these in a lovely soft Alpaca wool and have got them almost finished ...


17) My contribution to the UK Mini Quilt Swap, one of a couple of swaps I am in.

18) My contribution to the Rainbow Mini Quilt Swap, another one of my current swaps.  

19) Wigwam: I must get round to making a few of these for the summer. I have some fabric and plans in my head but have not yet drafted the pattern. I feel excited about this but I know it will take up a fair bit of space to 'manufacture' them. This photo came from a Laura Ashley photo shoot and was in the 2009 catalogue .... doesn't it make you feel like packing up for a picnic? 

la camping

20) Georgiana's cape: Alex has one that she loves and would like her cousin to have one to dress up with her in when they go 'adventuring' in the garden. The Vogue pattern needs adapting slightly for size but the fabric and trimmings are ready.

21) Postage stamp quilt: for years I have been 'salvaging' 2" squares from scraps of material that are left from other projects or are simply not big enough to make anything else from. I'd love to turn these into a quilt similar to Red Pepper's quilt in this link Postage Stamp Quilt Tutorial. She made hers from strips.


22) William's quilt: This was started over two years ago with the intention of it being ready for my son's new room. I did not have a studio at the time and it came out in the bedroom occasionally if I could set up a space to work in, or I would take it on holiday. It has been stored away waiting for me to get back to it, I have a ton of excuses as to why it has not been first on my list however it is denim and heavy so since I broke my elbow last year I have done very little with it. He was away for the summer months of 2014 in Michigan at Indian Trails Camp and I had hope to complete it for his return - it didn't happen! I'll have to attempt it soon.


23) Baby quilt 1: I heard a while ago that one of my neighbours has adopted a baby boy. This baby quilt has now been cut out in some cute Urban Patch fabrics and strung together but I still need to complete the piecing of the top and make it into a quilt.

24) Baby quilt 2: A month or so ago I also found out that an old colleague of mine, now living in Cyprus, had a baby girl. She sent me a picture and I couldn't believe how much I missed her. Don't you just love an excuse to make a baby gift? I have not yet completed the top but it's a girly version of the one above!

25) My 'afternoon tea' quilt. similar to the one I made for my Schnitzel & Boo mini quilt swap partner, but in brighter colours.

26) Some pot mitts for friends and family - including our special folks in the USA and I need to make a tutorial too and post it here.

This will definitely be enough to keep me going ... It will be great having an additional incentive to get things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment